Sunday, March 02, 2014

Picture This: Chicago Blackhawks vs. Pittsburgh Penguins in the Snow at Soldier Field -- March 1, 2014

Last night, I went to Soldier Field to watch the Chicago Blackhawks play the Pittsburgh Penguins in an NHL Stadium Series game.

I don't know what the official temperature was, or the wind chill, but it was pretty damn cold and it snowed for most of the game.

Still, excepting my feet becoming blocks of ice, it wasn't too uncomfortable, and it was a lot of fun.

The Hawks won 5-1, and today it seems I survived no worse for wear, excepting a few sniffles and a bit of a scratchy voice.

After a goose-bumping rendition of the National Anthem--with trademark Hawks fan cheering throughout--I also really enjoyed singing along with the crowd, not just on The Fratellis' "Chelsea Dagger" after each home goal, but on PA-pumping pleasures like The Beastie Boys' "Fight for Your Right to Party," AC/DC's "TNT" and Tom Petty's "The Waiting," the latter during an officials' goal review.

In other words, anything to stay active during the down time was a good thing. 

I was in the cheapest seats, down close to the football field--which ironically for a Bears game and even with a similar vantage point for a Hawks game at the United Center, would be among the most expensive--and taking pictures with a Canon Elph point & shoot with double gloves on each hand.

But as my little camera has a great "burst" feature which takes multiple consecutive shots with a single click, I took nearly 2,000 pictures over the course of 3+ hours.

Here's a selection of some of the best, with captions on most and a few videos:

From the bus on the East Side of Soldier Field, arriving at the game.
Waiting to get in, I thought this was fun:

My first glimpse of the field, and rink, with a kids' rink as well.
The Penquins taking the ice.
Here come the Hawks.
Awaiting the anthem.
Video I shot of the entire anthem:

Just before the game-opening face-off. The guy in front of me knocked my arm in excitement during
the actual face-off, so I didn't get any decent photos of it.
A small kerfuffle.
Game action in the snow.
More game action in the snow.
Celebrating the Hawks' first goal:
The game was sold out and seemed mostly full throughout, despite the weather.
Sidney Crosby and Jonathan Toews, good friends, Canadian teammates, good friends and two of the best.
Sharp and Crosby



What's a little snow?

"Fight for Your Right to Party"
The Ice Crew really worked hard, with multiple stops each period to shovel off the snow.
Time almost up (and a good test for my camera's burst feature, which caught 7 frames in the final 1.0)
A nice tradition.
Hawks win and we all go home happy. Except the Penguins fans.
All photos and videos above by Seth Arkin. Please provide attribution if re-posting. 
For a selection of professional photos from the game, click here.

No comments: