Thursday, September 29, 2016

Ours Go to 11: Volume 18, My Favorite Rock Albums of the 1990s

Last night, I saw a band named Ash perform their album titled 1977--released in 1996--in its entirety.

A review of the show will be forthcoming, but the live rendering served to not only reiterate but enhance my regard for a disc I bought 20 years ago.

In a Facebook post, I called 1977 one of my favorite albums of the '90s--then and now--but it got me thinking about "just how favorite?"

Top 10? Top 20? Top 50?

So as best I could cull, I've put together the following list, with a Top 11 and several other albums deserving mention.



My 11 Favorite Albums of the '90s
(as of now, not necessarily reflecting my regard at the time, though largely so; studio albums only)

1. Nirvana - Nevermind 
2. Pearl Jam - Ten
3. Dinosaur Jr. - Green Mind
4. Green Day - Dookie 
5. Nirvana - In Utero
6. The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
7. Radiohead - OK Computer
8. U2 - Achtung Baby
9. R.E.M. - Out of Time 
10. Foo Fighters - self-titled debut
11. Sugar - Copper Blue

And 22 more great ones, roughly in preference order: 

Stereophonics - Word Gets Around
Ash - 1977
Pearl Jam - Vs.
Garbage - self-titled debut
Blur - Parklife
Radiohead - The Bends
Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go
Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Red Hot Sugar Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik 
Pulp - Different Class
Guns 'n Roses - Use Your Illusion II
Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory
Material Issue - International Pop Overthrow
Weezer - the blue album
Depeche Mode - Violator
Midnight Oil - Earth and Sun and Moon
Wilco - Being There
The Flaming Lips - Transmissions from the Satellite Heart
Bruce Springsteen - Lucky Town
The Replacements - All Shook Down
Metallica - the black album

No comments: