Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Along for the Ride: Passenger-Side Photos From a Memorial Day Excursion Heading Southeast in Chicago

I didn't have much happening on Memorial Day yesterday.

No one invited me to any barbecues or picnics; I didn't attend any remembrances for fallen soldiers.

And while hanging out with family is a fairly common option, I had done so pretty extensively on both Saturday and Sunday.

So I was glad when I connected with my friend Ken, who wanted to pay a cemetery visit down in Calumet City and was happy to have me along for the ride.

Ken opted to take "the scenic route" along south Lake Shore Drive and the 41 extension, wanting to point out a grand church, stop at a longstanding eatery, show me his favorite fishing spot and take me past the Hammond, IN homes where he had spent a good part of his childhood, among other points of interest.

It was a fun jaunt and made for some good photos, as shown below roughly in the order taken. We began down the Edens & Kennedy but got over to LSD south of McCormick Place. I didn't get any good shots of the most beautiful stretch along Lake Michigan, as I was on the passenger side.



St. Michael the Archangel

A small shack featuring fish smoked on the premises; it's existed since 1948 but neither Ken or I had been here before.




It's hard to tell, but the bridge had opened while we watched.








Caught between two states (not just of mind); Indiana on the left, Illinois on the right.







---



All photos by Seth Arkin, copyright 2017. Please do not repost without permission and attribution.

1 comment:

Ken said...

What an adventure! Eating smoked fish next to the Calumet River, reminded my of the old days dining next to the Seine in Paris.