Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Saluting Our Veterans

One of the arguments that annoys me most in our polarized country is when people say, “If you speak out against the war, how do you think that makes our troops feel?”

What I hope the brave men and women serving in the military, especially in a war zone and specifically in Iraq would understand, is that my opposition to the war is primarily because I don’t want anyone to have to sacrifice their life or well-being for a war that at best isn’t essential and at worst is duplicitous. Although I’m not big on bumper sticker logic, I think “Support Our Troops, Bring Them Home” says it pretty well.

So on Veteran’s Day, let me state how much I personally admire the bravery, courage and conviction of everyone who has ever served in the U.S. Armed Forces (excepting those with ill intent) and appreciate their dedication and sacrifices. For anyone who is presently stationed in harm’s way, as well as their families at home, along with my thanks, I offer my strongest wishes for a safe and speedy return.

Below are a few pictures I took this past Memorial Day of war memorials in Washington, DC: the Vietnam Wall, World War II Memorial, Women’s Memorial and Korean War Memorial.

No comments: