Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Here's My Verdict...

Theatre Review
Legally Blonde: The Musical
Broadway Tour
Ford Theatre - Chicago
@@@@

I wouldn't quite call "Legally Blonde" an all-time great musical, but it is a highly enjoyable one that comes close to "excellent." And while last night's cast and production weren't quite up to the Broadway version, the show remains a whole lot of fun. Becky Gulsvig, who understudied the Elle Woods role on Broadway and plays her here, was very good and quite charming. The music & lyrics, co-written by Lawrence O'Keefe, who also wrote Bat Boy the Musical (which I loved in London), are quite good throughout and there are a number of imaginative scenes, all enthusiastically performed. I certainly had a lot more fun than I did the other night at "Rock N Roll."

No comments: