Saturday, October 09, 2010

A Really Cool Ad for A Really Great Cause -- October is Breast Cancer Awarness Month

www.bcrfcure.org
Yesterday I read a movie review by the Chicago Tribune's Michael Phillips in which he theorized that his liking the film (if only somewhat more than expected) would likely foretell its relative failure at the box office. Phillips included this quote from legendary playwright Henrik Ibsen: "The majority is always wrong."

Seems quite apt to a lot of things, and in championing a really unique, daring and compelling ad for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, I sure hope that it will prove as effective, if not much more so, than a more traditional approach. Because I think it's much cooler than the norm and therefore am unsure if the majority would agree.

Even though I have seen many reminders that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, including pink ribbons on celebrities, promotions on many websites and pink shoes & gloves worn by NFL players in commemoration, and although breast cancer is certainly a vital cause and one that affected my family--my maternal grandmother was a breast cancer survivor--I wasn't prompted to make a donation to the Breast Cancer Research Fund (bcrfcure.org) until I saw the ad below, a couple of times.

I don't know if it's been running elsewhere, but I've only seen it Playbill programs, accompanying theater and cultural events. The first time was in the Playbill for the musical "Rock of Ages" in Chicago; due to the more brazen, cross-cultural nature of show, a celebration of "hair metal," I wondered if the ad was particular to that program. But when it showed up again in the Playbill-published program for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, where it really stood out among a bunch of staid ads about corporate philanthropy, it really impressed me.

My kudos to whoever signed off on this ad for the BCRF and the artist, Marisa Acocello Marchetto. Donations can be made at bcrfcure.org or by calling 1-866-Find-A-Cure.

No comments: