Sunday, December 11, 2016

Ours Go to 11: Volume 21, The Best Rock 'n Roll Christmas Songs (with Spotify Playlist)

It's a snowy Sunday in Chicago and seemingly throughout much of the U.S.

A good time to be both restive and festive. 

Although I'm Jewish and not inherently a lover of the entire canon Christmas carols, I appreciate the best of the bunch--and particularly holiday music in a rock vein.

Many of my selections below were originally released on the excellent A Very Special Christmas compilations over the years, which benefit the Special Olympics.

And I've included several on my Santa Rocks CD, which I distributed to friends in years past.

But it's been awhile, so here are--first as a list, then a playable Spotify interface:

My Favorite Rock Xmas Tunes:

1. "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" - Bruce Springsteen
2. "Father Christmas" - The Kinks
3. "Blue Christmas" - Elvis Presley
4. "Merry Christmas (I Don't Wanna Fight Tonight)" - The Ramones
5. "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - U2 (originally by Darlene Love)
6. "Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues with Kirsty MacColl
7. "Run Rudolph Run" - Chuck Berry
8. "Happy Xmas (War is Over)" - John Lennon
9. "Do They Know It's Christmas" - BandAid
10. "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" - John Mellencamp
11. "Christmastime" - Smashing Pumpkins

Plus A Few More

"Christmas" - Blues Traveler
"Christmas Time is Here Again" - The Beatles (not on Spotify, but found here)
"Christmas All Over Again" - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
"Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer" - The Smithereens
"Mistress for Christmas" - AC/DC
"Step Into Christmas" - Elton John




No comments: