Wednesday, December 21, 2016

The Best of 2016: The Best Plays I Saw

I saw several stellar plays in 2016, from writers known and new, in theaters with less than 30 seats and more than 2,000.

Trying to compare them, some many months later, is fraught with fallibility--even in having written reviews and maintained a database of shows seen.

And perhaps it seems suspect that the play I saw most recently wound up at the top of my list.

But that one and the #2 selection are the only non-musical plays--the Best Musicals I saw in 2016 will come in the days ahead--that I awarded a full @@@@@ on the Seth Saith ratings scale.

And picks #3-6 are the only plays I gave @@@@1/2.

So while precise rankings--and heck, all of my opinions--should always be taken with a grain of salt, these are:
 
The Best Plays I Saw in 2016
All were in the Chicago area. New/recent works are denoted with an *.

1. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time* - Oriental Theatre (touring production) 
written by Simon Stephens; directed by Marianne Elliott
(my review)

2. Mary Page Marlowe* - Steppenwolf Theatre
written by Tracy Letts; directed by Anna Shapiro
(my review)

3. The Women of Lockerbie - AstonRep  
written by Deborah Brevoort; directed by Robert Tobin
(my review)

4. Yasmina's Necklace* - 16th Street Theater 
written by Rohina Malik; directed by Ann Filmer
(my review)

5. Mothers & Sons - Northlight Theatre
written by Terrence McNally; directed by Steve Scott
(my review)

6. #LOVESTORIES* - Fleetwood-Jourdain Theatre
written by Tania Richard, Gloria Bond Clunie and Marsha Estell; directed by Tim Rhoze 
(my review)

7. The Flick* - Steppenwolf Theatre 
written by Annie Baker; directed by Dexter Bullard
(my review)

8. Marjorie Prime* - Writers Theatre
written by Jordan Harrison; directed by Kimberly Senior
(my review)

9. Death and Harry Houdini - House Theatre
written & directed by Nathan Allen
(my review)

10. American Buffalo - Mary-Arrchie Theatre 
written by David Mamet; directed by Carlo Lorenzo Garcia
(my review)

11. A Small Oak Tree Runs Red* - Congo Square Theatre
written by Lekethia Dalcoe; directed by Harry Lennix
(my review)

Honorable Mention


The City of Conversation* - Northlight Theatre
written by Anthony Giardina; directed by Marti Lyons
(my review)
 

The Few* - Steep Theatre Co. 
written by Samuel D. Hunter; directed by Brad Akin
(my review)

Between Riverside and Crazy* - Steppenwolf Theatre
written by Stephen Adly Guirgis; directed by Yasen Peyankov
(my review)

The Sign in Sidney Brustein's Window - Goodman Theatre 
written by Lorraine Hansberry; directed by Anne Kauffman
(my review)

Dying City* - The Comrades
written by Christopher Shinn; directed by Elizabeth Lovelady
(my review)

No comments: