Thursday, December 12, 2019

The Best of the Decade 2010-19: My Favorite Websites and Apps

From what I could quickly find, there are nearly 2 billion websites, though only about 10% of them are active.

Still, that's about 200,000,000 websites.

And sure, many are in languages other than English or representing companies I will never need care about.

But how many websites have I visited...ever? 1,000? 5,000?

Who knows?

But it seems that far fewer than 100 matter to me on a regular basis, though I get that many--such as for hotels, restaurants--will only occasionally be topical.

And when so, I appreciate that they exist.

But the lists below--I'll rank both my favorite websites of the decade (not only new ones) and apps, although sometimes they're duplicative--aren't primarily meant to judge sites based on design, navigation, etc.

There are some I'll leave off--Hotmail, Messages (texting), Netflix, Blogger, OneDrive, Camera, Bank of America and others akin--because it's really hard to compare them to other websites and apps, in terms of my usage.

But essentially--with several repeating from my Best of 2000-09 list--these are the:

Websites and Apps I Most Valued
Over the Past Decade


Websites

1. Wikipedia.org

2. Amazon.com
(use Smile.Amazon.com so it makes charity donations from your purchases)

3. AllMusic.com

4. Google.com

5. Setlist.fm

6. Pollstar.com

7. Baseball-Reference.com

8. Maps.Google.com

9. ChicagoTribune.com

10. IMDB.com

11. Backstreets.com

Honorable Mention (in alphabetical order)

AllMovie.com
Booking.com / BookAAHotels.com
CNN.com
ListChallenges.com
Stubhub.com
Thesaurus.com
Ticketmaster.com
Travelocity.com
TripAdvisor.com
Twitter.com
WikiArt.org
Xe.com/ucc (Foreign currency rates)
Vistaprint.com

Special Mention (for my own websites)

SethSaith.com

6wordPortraits.com


Apps (I use iPhone)

1. Facebook

2. YouTube

3. Spotify

4. Uber / Lyft

5. Google Maps

6. MLB At Bat

7. SiriusXM

8. Scrabble

9. Kindle

10. Open Table

11. Twitter

Honorable Mention (in alphabetical order)

AccuRadio
Flixster
Goldstar
Google Translate
Grubhub
Lose It
Overdrive
TransitStop (CTA)
Venmo
Weather (iPhone)

1 comment:

Hemingway1955 said...

I'd like to include for consideration Startpage.com. It's a search engine that uses Google's algorithm but doesn't track your search history. It also offers anonymous web browsing capabilities.