Saturday, December 14, 2019

The Best of the Decade 2010-19: My Favorite Movies

I guarantee you. If you see any list of the Top This or That, you will disagree with it.

For it's somebody else's list, and--as often with publications--a composite of differing viewpoints.

So I fully expect you to differ from the list below, and all of my Best of the Decade rankings in recent days.

Chances are, I myself would disagree, in a month, year, decade, or perhaps even if making the same list next week.

Each year since 2010, at the very end of December on SethSaith.com, I've published my picks of The Best New Movies I Saw that year.

Sometimes, especially with prestige films or international movies, some of my favorites spilled over into the next calendar year.

For my picks below, I relied on those lists coupled with my admittedly eroding memory and a few other resources. I did not re-watch any films, and I did not newly view anything wonderful I may have missed upon release.

So as with all my lists, take it--with a proverbial grain of salt--for what it is: My choices, compiled unscientifically, meant for consideration, discussion, perhaps your own recollections & picks and possibly some worthwhile viewing recommendations.

For what it's worth, in looking at My Favorite Movies of the '00s, they seem to hold up pretty well.

And while I love documentaries and saw many great ones this decade, I opted not to include any in the list below. Certainly, some are exceptional cinematic achievements, but given the whims of vague recollect, it seemed wrong to try to work some into my feature film choices of...

The Best Movies of the Decade (excluding documentaries)

1. Ida
2. A Separation
3. 12 Years a Slave
4. Zero Dark Thirty 
5. If Beale Street Could Talk
6. Blancanieves
7. Selma 
8. Take Shelter
9. Sing Street
10. Poetry
11. Roma
12. Boyhood 
13. The Social Network
14. Manchester by the Sea 
15. Fruitvale Station
16. I, Daniel Blake
17. The Irishman
18. Room
19. The Secret in Their Eyes (original)
20. Moonlight
21. Hugo
22. Inception
23. The Past
24. Kubo and the Two Strings
25. Phoenix

25 Honorable Mention (in alphabetical order)

Amour
Argo
The Artist
Burning
The Fighter
The Florida Project
Gravity
Holy Motors
The Imitation Game
Lady Bird
Les Miserables
Love & Mercy
Loving
Monsieur Lazhar
Mud
99 Homes
Parasite
The Peanut Butter Falcon
Rabbit Hole
The Salesman
Shoplifters
The Theory of Everything
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Two Days, One Night
Wild Rose

Oversights, meant to include

Dunkirk - Top 25

1 comment:

Hemingway1955 said...

I believe "Ida" may be the only black and white film on the list?