Wednesday, December 02, 2009

My Favorite Movies of the '00s

I haven't kept track, but I'd estimate that I have likely seen about 500 movies from this decade in this decade. I probably average 1-2 movies in theaters most months of the year, but typically see most of the biggest summer blockbusters and numerous "Oscar-consideration" films that are released at year's end. With DVD rentals & purchases plus films I eventually catch on HBO and on down the cable chain, about 50 movies from each calendar year seems about right.

In preparing to make this list, I rewatched a few things from my DVD collection and checked out a few friends' recommendations, but by-and-large this list is based on how I remember things from over the years. And in this case, "My Favorite" equates to "What I Think Was The Best" based on judgments about a movie's artistic merit, not necessary how entertaining or even comforting it may be. Given the grim subject matter of many of what I consider to be the best films, they aren't necessarily what I'd recommend if someone says, "Bring over your favorite movie."

So without further ado--except to say that I slept through the first Lord of the Rings movie and haven't seen the next 2--here are "My Favorite Movies of the '00s":

1. City of God
2. Memento
3. Hotel Rwanda
4. The Pianist (despite its criminal director)
5. Finding Neverland
6. In America
7. Once
8. Gladiator
9. Frost/Nixon
10. In the Bedroom

Honorable Mention:
Slumdog Millionaire, Crash, A History of Violence, The Fall, Spiderman 2, The Last King of Scotland, Traffic, Sideways, Mulholland Drive, Little Children

Best Documentary: Man on Wire
Best Animated Film: Up
Best Comedy: O Brother Where Art Thou (or School of Rock)
Best Musical: Sweeney Todd

Best (across the decade)...
Director: Christopher Nolan (Memento, Insomnia, Batman Begins, The Prestige, The Dark Knight)
Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman (Johnny Depp is close but loses points for Captain Jack)
Actress: Kate Winslet

In judging my list and making yours, you may want to check out other "Best Movies of the '00s" resources: here, here and here

No comments: