Thursday, November 11, 2004

First Impression: Atomic "Bomb"?

I just heard the new U2 album "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb," for the first time; they're playing it all the way through all day on WXRT. Hopefully, I'll like it more upon repeated listenings, but my first impression isn't particularly favorable. I remember saying about the song "Vertigo" a little while ago, that if it is the best song on the album, that would be a problem, but that U2's history has had them releasing a first single -- particularly, The Fly -- that wasn't necessarily the album's best track. On a first listen to the whole album, it sounds like Vertigo might be the best song; at the very least it's the most rocking. This album has been hyped as a "hard rocking" and "awesome" album. I'm about to hear it for the second time; let's hope I like it more. So far, not so good.

No comments: