Sunday, January 13, 2019

Just a Click Away: Retracing My Life Via Google Maps

The grounds of my grammar school.
Click the link, then after it opens, click your browser's [Back] button.

I was born here, or so I've been told.

I grew up here. (with a bit of intentional ambiguity in deference to current residents)

I went to grade school here.

This was my local park. 

My best friend lived here.

This was my Junior High School.

At 12, I attended my first rock concert here (and many more since): Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. It was then called the Rosemont Horizon.

My high school (it's changed quite a bit).

My first job was at a law firm in this building (I was a messenger)

From age 16 to 20 I worked here during the summer (and at it's now demolished counterpart)

Chick Evans Fieldhouse at my college. I saw R.E.M. here in October 1986.
College

My freshman dorm

My other college residence

During college, I ate here often.

My first post-college job was here, under a different name (theirs, not mine)

I lived here briefly with my grandma, before...

At 20, I moved to Los Angeles and lived here for 3 years

My first job in L.A. was at a bank in this building

I worked part-time at a SUBWAY restaurant that was located here, until I robbed at gunpoint, twice in 2 weeks

My second full-time job was at Nationwide Advertising, in this building

I also worked part-time at a Kinko's located here












In Rio de Janeiro in 2014, I stood here.

In early 2015, I visited Mexico City. The Diego Rivera murals adorning three floors of this courtyard made it one of the coolest places I've ever been.



In Lima, I ate at two of the best restaurants in the world: Maido and Astrid y Gaston.
The location of La Rosa Nautica made it pretty special as well.

I haven't mentioned New York City, but have been there 18 times. This is my favorite spot in the city.

No comments: