Friday, January 17, 2020

Quite the Trick: With 'Pure Lies,' Trent James Truly Engages, Nicely Enchants at the Chicago Magic Lounge -- Review

Magic Show Review

Pure Lies with Trent James
Chicago Magic Lounge
Thru March 25
@@@@1/2

Any quick perusal of this blog will accurately convey that I predominantly see and review theater (musicals & plays) and rock concerts.

But a far deeper dive would reveal that—even just over the past ten years—I’ve attended and often written about shows across many idioms.

Classical, jazz, blues, bluegrass, country, folk, ragtime, funk and concerts in other musical genres. Ballet, tap, modern dance, the Rockettes and Riverdance. Stand-up, sketch and improv comedy. Cirque du Soleil shows, similar productions and more traditional circuses. Numerous operas. Poetry readings. Kabuki theater. Professional wrestling.

And magic.

But rather little magic. Although I enjoy a good magic show, I think the only one I saw over the past decade was a touring production called The Illusionists.

I did also see, in 2016, a House Theatre play called Death and Harry Houdini, featuring the talented magician Dennis Watkins doing some tricks connected to the most famed magician ever.

And sure, back in the day, I saw some David Copperfield specials on TV. I once saw Penn & Teller in Las Vegas. I vaguely recall seeing a magic show by Kirby Van Burch on my only visit to Branson, MO. And I think I saw the legendary Doug Henning once at the old Mill Run Theater in Niles, IL when I was a kid.

But I really should see more magic.

…as evidenced by how much I enjoyed my first visit to the Chicago Magic Lounge and a show called Pure Lies by current artist-in-residence Trent James.

Per the above, I don’t have much point of reference. And while he demonstrated easygoing charm and engaging showmanship along with what I saw as strong magic, I imagine even the 22-year-old James would agree he probably needs a bit more seasoning and polish before he gets a Vegas theater named for him (à la Lance Burton, Criss Angel and other “name” magicians past & present).

James’ nearly hourlong set was nicely low-key—especially for a Wednesday night, though the well-appointed venue was pretty full—but never quite felt monumental.

But, as you can see above, that’s about all that’s keeping me from bestowing a full @@@@@ on my Seth Saith scale.

Now, before I loosely describe some of James' tricks and gags--I certainly won't give much away--let me back up a bit.

Although I am a fairly avid follower of the Chicagoland arts scene, consider magic a creative idiom I enjoy (even if I don't see it much) and have driven along the 5000 block of Clark of block a number of times--the Raven Theater is a few blocks north, the Black Ensemble Theater a few blocks south--I didn't know of the Chicago Magic Lounge's existence until late December 2019. (It seems to have opened nearly two full years ago.)

Granted, the facade of the building at 5050 N. Clark gives nothing away, unless you're specifically looking for the magic venue and notice a few vintage posters in the doorway.

Even once you step inside, what you see is a laundromat (I wouldn't give this away if ChicagoMagicLounge.com didn't).

Luckily, some other patrons enabled a friend and I to quickly find the right point of entry, and what we ultimately encountered was quite impressive.

It was via a Chicago Tribune mention about things to do on New Year's Eve that I became aware of the venue, and a perusal of their website indicated they do shows every night, including a "Signature Show" Thursday through Friday.

Intrigued, I reached out to see if I might be able to attend and review a performance, and learned of Press Night availability for Pure Lies with Trent James, the current quarterly artist-in-residence show.

After entering via a washing machine, my friend Ken and I were corralled into an attractive but rather close-knit cocktail area, where a guy named Al James was doing magic at the bar. (In his act, Trent James mentioned his dad also being a magician, but in asking him after the show I learned that Al James is not his father. Just a magical coincidence, I guess.)

Via a small magic library with some cool old posters and a framed Conjurer's magazine accompanied by a (presumably signed) photo of Harry Houdini, we then went into the main showroom.

This is a large, multi-level cabaret-type space that would well-accommodate a stand-up comedian, small jazz combo, vocalist/pianist duo, etc. (On Mondays at the Chicago Magic Lounge, there is a live jazz accompanying magic.)

We ordered some food & drinks, and while the menu isn't vast, what we had--Beef & Cheddar Sliders, Prosciutto Wrapped Dates, Peanut Butter Bonbons--was all quite tasty.

And before Trent James took the stage at 8:15pm, we and many other patrons were able to enjoy the talents of table magicians making their way around the showroom.

A friendly woman did card tricks; a denonair man did nifty tricks with two cushioned balls. Apologies for not being able to cite their names, though they did introduce themselves.

So my first impressions of the Chicago Magic Lounge were quite strong, even beyond James' show, the main focus of this review.

I perceive it as pretty nifty place to take a date, if only I could make one appear.

And my understanding is that the "Signature Show," which rotates performers night-to-night, makes for an even fuller night of magic than the Wednesday artist-in-residence shows. (There is also a Family Show on Sunday afternoons.)

Which brings me back to Pure Lies with Trent James.

Throughout his act, James had a hip, cheery, self-effacing manner, and his magic skills--he said he's been at it since the age of 5--are accompanied by fine comedic and acting prowess.

He started with some magic using various props--a handkerchief, egg, lemon, even a flute--but he was even stronger with pieces involving audience members brought onstage.

Whether he was reading minds--with the aid of a silent dummy named William--or picking pockets, he consistently had me fooled.

And entertained.

Without knowing how else to judge a magic show, it seems both are key criteria in saying this is a good one.

I'd be happy to see other shows and magicians at the spiffy venue, and/or elsewhere, and would be curious to note how James' career develops as his impressive poise continues to.

But even, or perhaps especially, to an arts lover who rather rarely takes in magic but was intrigued & tickled to do so, Trent James, his Pure Lies solo show and the Chicago Magic Lounge all appear to be the real deal. 

No comments: