Saturday, December 23, 2017

The Best of 2017: The Best Plays I Saw

In 2017, I saw 29 plays.

This doesn't include musicals, operas, ballets, one-man shows, sketch comedy, improv, etc.

These dramas and comedies--many a mix of both--were presented by fourteen different local troupes in a wide variety of venues.

Several of the works were quite good, and all that I cite on the list below received at least @@@@ (out of 5) on my ratings scale.

On only one--the #1 pick, a great rendition of a classic--did I bestow @@@@@, but the next six merited @@@@1/2, and trying to distinguish among them months later certainly may be imprecise.

But as best I could recall, with help from my own reviews and database, these were:
   
The Best Plays I Saw in 2017
All were in the Chicago area. New/recent works are denoted with an *.

1. The Importance of Being Earnest - Writers Theatre
written by Oscar Wilde; directed by Michael Halberstam
(my review)

2. The Minutes* - Steppenwolf Theatre
written by Tracy Letts; directed by Anna Shapiro
(my review)

3. A View From the Bridge - Goodman Theatre 
written by Arthur Miller; directed by Ivo van Hove
(my review)

4. Yasmina's Necklace* - Goodman Theatre
written by Rohina Malik; directed by Ann Filmer
(my review)

5. The Legend of Georgia McBride* - Northlight Theatre
written by Matthew Lopez; directed by Lauren Shouse
(my review)

6. Faceless* - Northlight Theatre
written by Selina Fillinger; directed by BJ Jones
(my review)

7. Relativity* - Northlight Theatre 
written by Mark St. Germain; directed by BJ Jones
(my review)

8. Eleemosynary - Aston Rep Theatre
written by Lee Blessing; directed by Jeremiah Barr & Derek Bertelsen
(my review)

9. United Flight 232 - House Theatre
written & directed by Vanessa Stalling
(my review)

10. Time Stands Still - Aston Rep Theatre 
written by Donald Marguiles; directed by Georgette Verdin
(my review)

11. Pass Over* - Steppenwolf Theatre
written by Antoinette Nwandu; directed by Danya Taymor
(my review)

Honorable Mention


Prelude to a Kiss - The Comrades
written by Craig Lucas; directed by Derek Bertelsen
(my review)
 

Quixote: On the Conquest of Self* - Writers Theatre
written by by Mónica Hoth and Claudio Valdés Kuri;
English translation by Georgina Escobar; directed by Claudio Valdés Kuri

(my review)

The Nutcracker (non-ballet) - House Theatre
written by Jake Minton, Phillip Klapperich, Kevin O'Donnell, Tommy Rapley; directed by Chris Matthews
(my review)

No comments: