Thursday, September 23, 2004

A Tip Of My Virtual Cap

...and a raising of my virtual Old Style to Greg Maddux, who was the winning pitcher for the Cubs today. It was his 15th win of the season, making it 17 straight years of 15+ wins, something no one else has done in the history of baseball and really quite a remarkable feat. I don't know if he broke his own record or was tied with someone, but is really incredible considering every stupid caller to sports talk radio wanted run him out of town when he was struggling in April. And he really should be about 17-9 instead of 15-10 as he is, if the bullpen hadn't blown a couple of games he was on the way to winning. Also amazing is the fact that this should become the 14th straight year he hasn't lost more than 11 games. All told, he is 304-173. Quite a career that isn't close to being over. Here's hoping he gets a chance to improve his mediocre playoff record this year :) A trivia question for anyone who's actually reading this: How many times has Maddux won 20 games in a season?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lately I've been coming home from work and experiencing this terrible jones for something, something that I can't put my finger on -- as if I've spent the day with an intraveneous feed of something wonderful like codeine, and then the plug was pulled (abruptly!) the moment I got in my car and went home.

Now that I've discovered this site, I realize what it was!! It was Seth! Thank you Seth! You've given me hope for my evenings! Now I can come here, plug in and have a good dose of Seth any time -- DAY OR NIGHT!

Time to party!
Posted by Wendy